- BS (Chemistry), 1978, Southwest Missouri State University.
- MA Candidate (Analytical Chemistry), 1978-1981, University of Missouri-Columbia.
- PhD (Clinical Chemistry), 1986, University of Health Sciences/The Chicago Medical School.
- Postdoctoral fellowship in Clinical Chemistry, 1986-1988, Medical College of Virginia.
- 2002 - present, Technical Director - Clinical Chemistry/Laboratory Informatics, St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, Memphis, TN.
- 1998 - 2002, Technical Director, American Association of Bioanalysts Proficiency Testing Service, Brownsville, TX.
- 1997 - present, President, Jay Clinical Services, L.L.C., Berger, MO; Brownsville, TX; Memphis, TN.
- 1990 - 1997, Clinical Chemist, Central Texas Veterans Health Care System, Temple, TX.
- 1997, Visiting Lecturer, Baylor University, Waco, TX. 1994 - 1997, Adjunct Instructor, University of Mary Hardin-Baylor, Belton, TX.
- 1992 - 1997, Assistant Professor, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Texas A&M University College of Medicine, Temple, TX.
- 1991 - 1997, Clinical Faculty Member, Medical Laboratory Technologist program, Temple Junior College, Temple, TX.
- 1991 - 1997, Clinical Faculty Member, Program in Clinical Laboratory Science, Scott and White Clinic, Temple, TX.
- 1989 - 1990, Technical Director, SciCor, Inc., Indianapolis, IN.
- 1988 - 1989, Director, Clinical Chemistry/Toxicology, Sparrow Hospital, Lansing, MI.
- 1988 - 1989, Technical Consultant, Laboratory of Clinical Medicine, Lansing, MI.
- American Board of Clinical Chemistry Certification, 1991.
Honors and Awards
- American Chemical Society, 1980
Chair-Elect, 1994; Chair, 1995; Councilor, 1996-1997; Heart O' Texas Section.
- Phi Lambda Upsilon (Honorary chemical fraternity), 1980.
- American Association for Clinical Chemistry, 1981.
- American Association for the Advancement of Science, 1981.
- New York Academy of Sciences, 1989.
- College of American Pathologists, Inspector No. 903231, 1991.
- American Society of Clinical Pathologists, 1995.
- American Association of Bioanalysts, 1999.
- Fellow, National Academy of Clinical Biochemistry, 2001.
- Regent's Scholarship, Southwest Missouri State University, 1971.
- Student travel grant to the Symposium on Advanced Analytical Concepts for the Clinical Laboratory, Knoxville, TN, AACC, 1984.
- Outstanding performance award, North Chicago VA Hospital, 1985-1986; Central Texas Veterans Health Care System, 1991-1996.
- Outstanding Lecturer, Scott & White Program in Clinical Laboratory Science, 1994-1995.
- Outstanding Clinical Teacher, Scott & White Pathology Residents, 1994-1995.
- Nominee for Laboratorian of the Year, Advance Magazine, 1997.
- Health Care Financing Administration Regional Administrator's Citation, 2001.
- Halfman CJ, Wong FCL, Jay DW. Solvent Perturbation Fluorescence Immunoassay Technique. Anal Chem 1985;57:1928-1930.
- Halfman CJ, Dowe RJ, Jay DW, Schneider AS. The Effect of Dodecyl Sulfate on Immunoglobulin Hapten Binding. Mol Immunol 1986;23:943-949.
- Halfman CJ, Jay DW. Homogeneous, Micelle Quenching Fluorescent-Labeled Immunoassay for Detecting Amphetamine in Urine. Clin Chem 1986;32:1677-1681.
- Jay DW. "A Homogeneous Micelle-Quenching Fluorescence Immunoassay for Detection of Amphetamine in Urine Samples." PhD Thesis, University of Health Sciences/The Chicago Medical School, 1986.
- Jay DW, Miller WG. Evaluation of Fetal Lung Maturity by a Fluorescence Polarization Method and Comparison to the L/S Ratio. (Abstract) Clin Chem 1987;33:901.
- Jay DW, Miller WG. Sensitive Quantitation of Alkaline Phosphatase Isoenzymes by Electrophoresis on Lectin-Containing Agarose. (Abstract) Clin Chem 1988;34:1290.
- Jay DW. Macro Creatine Kinase Co-migrating with CK-MB on Electrophoresis. Clin Chem 1989;34:1920.
- Provasek D, Jay DW. Bichromatic Determination of Hemoglobin on the Hitachi 717. (Abstract) Clin Chem 1992;38:942.
- Jay DW, Provasek D. Correction of Hemolysis Interference for Selected Analytes on the Hitachi 717. (Abstract) Clin Chem 1992;38:1026.
- Jay DW, Provasek D. Characterization and Mathematical Correction of Hemolysis Interference for Selected Hitachi 717 Assays. Clin Chem 1993;39:1804-10.
- Farmer L, Jay DW. Evaluation of the DuPont ACA Plus MCKMB Assay and Comparison to CK-MB by Helena REP Electrophoresis. (Abstract) Clin Chem 1994;40:1052.
- Ellison D, Vafaee S, Miller S, Jay DW. Bilirubin Interference in the GDS Theophylline Assay. (Abstract) Clin Chem 1994;40:1114.
- Brawn PN, Foster DM, Jay DW, Kuhl D, Speights VO, Johnson EH, Coffield KS, Lind ML, Karl R, Weaver B. Characteristics of Prostatic Infarcts and Their Effect on Serum Prostate-Specific Antigen and Prostatic Acid Phosphatase. Urology 1994;44:71-75.
- Jay DW, Lawrence L. Porphyrins, Hemoglobin and Myoglobin in Bishop ML, Duben-Engelkirk JL, Fody EP, Eds. Clinical Chemistry, 3rd ed., JB Lippincott, Philadelphia, pp. 501-518, 1996.
- Jay DW, Provasek D. Comparison of Troponin-T and Troponin-I. (Abstract) Clin Chem 1996;42:S147.
- Jay DW, Johnson EH. Correction of High Calcium Values on Beckman CX Analyzers. (Abstract) Clin Chem 1997;43:S166.
- Jay DW. Windows 95/NT Linear Regression Programs for Method Comparison. (Abstract) Clin Chem 1998;44:A61.
- Jay DW. Non-protein Nitrogen in Bishop ML, Duben-Engelkirk JL, Fody EP, Eds. Clinical Chemistry, 4th ed., JB Lippincott, Philadelphia, pp. 260-274, 2000.
- Jay DW. Differences in Whole Blood and Plasma Glucose. ASCP Tech Sample, Jan, 2001.
- Lambert L, Caban J, Jay DW. Interference in the Vitros CREA method when measuring urine creatinine on samples acidified with acetic acid. (Letter) Clin Chem 2004;50:1273-1274.
- Jay DW. Mining patient data to perform analyte comparison for multiple analyzers. (Abstract) Arch Pathol Lab Med 2004;128:1114.
- Burgoyne LL, Jay DW, Bikhazi GB, Armendi AJ. Isosulfan blue causes factitious methemoglobinemia in an infant. Paediatr Anaesth 2005;15:1116-1119.